Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Year in Review

Everyone's doing it, so I am.

1) I lived in a big old manor house. Seriously big. But not so old. (As before, if you can identify this, please don't put it in the comments. Feel free to email me if you want to let on.)


2) I haven't gotten to teach Shakespeare in two years (spring 2010 was the last time). But I will be teaching Shakespeare next semester! Yay

On the other hand, I've gotten to teach Chaucer and lots of other early modern lit. And I'm prepping a seminar on Marlowe for next semester, and I'm feeling really good about it.

3) I ran more than before, and didn't bike as much, but I had a good time.

4) I'm overweight and have the beginnings of high blood pressure so I'm trying to exercise more, eat less, and not drink alcohol. (Though I did have the occasional small cider in the UK, because cider!)

5) I finished a big project at work, and it was okay.

***

And for the new year, resolutions? Not so much. But I am working on the weight and exercise and blood pressure stuff. And I'm working on a paper. And trying not to be a jerk. (There's my big life goal. It's a pretty low standard, but if everyone aimed there, things would be better.)

My other goal is to watch as few political ads as possible in the coming year. I may have to turn off my TV a lot.

6 comments:

  1. That's an awesome place to call home!

    Hope your Shakespeare class is fantastic! By the time I teach it again, it will have been more than three years since I've taught Shakespeare (as a class). (I teach one play in my intro class.) Makes me sad.

    Anywho... happy new year! Hope it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a seriously awesome house. So glad you posted about your year, because it gave those of us who live not in palaces and exotic places great fodder for daydreaming. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your manor house! Trying not to be a jerk is a goal of mine as well, and I find it surprisingly difficult. It sounds like a modest goal, but sometimes it's not at all. It's great that you enjoyed your biking -- doesn't matter how much you did, after all, as long as it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful building! And what a great experience. I was always amazed by how full you made your experience in the UK. Like Undine, I was so glad you shared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, friends. I had my doubts about the way I was blogging my travels, but you're making me feel better about it.

    I could post some interior pics of the house. Sometimes, I'd wake up in the morning and look up at the ceiling in my room (with plaster work in blue and gold) and think, HOLY COW, where am I? It was pretty amazing! And another way of saying that some people just have too darned much money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bardiac, I loved the way you blogged about your travels; please don't have any doubts on that score! You clearly made the most of 2011; here's wishing you a wonderful 2012.

    ReplyDelete