Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Prepping the Seminar

I'm teaching a senior seminar on Marlowe this coming semester, and I'm working on prepping a bit. I've assigned Riggs' The World of Christopher Marlowe, but I'm not entirely thrilled as I think about how it will work for students. It's really dense in some areas in ways that seem likely to be difficult for students. Heck, it's dense for me. (Mostly it's the spy stuff.)

But I like the stuff on educational practices. I'm not sure the students will, though. (I had to order books way back in summer.)

I'm working on a list of terms (people's names, places, etc) to have students do very short (a couple of paragraphs max) papers on to teach each other some basic stuff about the period. I'd be happy for more ideas, please. (I need at least 20 to give everyone one.)

2 comments:

  1. Thomas Kyd, Spanish Armada, John Lyly, Philip Henslowe, Edward Allyn, St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, Deptford.

    I'll see if I can come up with more. I actually did my undergraduate and Master's thesis on Marlowe. And I did a senior seminar on Marlowe and had the students do a website on Marlowe and his life. I'll see if I can find the link.

    B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Roaringgrrl! Those are exactly what I'm looking for. I'm also after some theory terms and some historical stuff :) I'm close to my 20 now!

    ReplyDelete