Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Genetic Clutter

When I was visiting my brother, I noticed the clutter in his home office. I get so used to my own office clutter that I don't see it, but I'm reminded to look now that I've noticed his again.

We both tend to stack papers around the room. Our Dad did the same thing. It amazed me when I worked for the family business at various times that he could pretty much instantly put his hands on whatever he needed, even if it were part of a six inch pile of paper. It's genetic, I think. My Mom's much neater genes must be recessives; she doesn't clutter nearly as much as we do. And she was always frustrated by our clutter when I was growing up.

I'm not usually that good at finding what I need, alas. When I was a kid, I had this notebook thing to carry my papers, but I kept losing my homework in there and getting in trouble. It drove my Mom nuts! And rightly so.

So today I cleaned much of the clutter in my office at work, yet again. I seem to clean up about once a year, and then re-clutter. I need to clean up my home office, but I've been a lot better about that since I cleaned it last summer (perhaps because I haven't been here to clutter?), so it won't be too bad.

I also got some stuff done for my Marlowe class, so it was a productive day all around!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:27 PM

    Sounds like you are doing a lot of prep for your Marlowe class--I'm impressed. *applause*

    Because I've read only three pages of the introduction to one of my (new) textbooks so far. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my kids' clutter drives me crazy, but i'm not a lot better in my office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're a family of cluttering fools. My clutter is always organized, until someone (inevitably) messes with it. At my school office, there is much more organized chaos, though I tend to clean it up about every two weeks or so. I have a massive desk that is great for grading, but only when it's cleaned off. I really wish the administration would just send PDFs of everything instead of giving us paper copies. Oh well. Maybe they'll join this century by the time I retire.

    ReplyDelete