Sunday, February 28, 2010

House Finches

I saw house finches on the deck today, for the first time in a long time. (At least I don't think I've been seeing them since late fall.)

I got myself a copy of Sibley's recently, and now I want to start keeping somewhat better records of what birds I'm seeing when and where. I was wondering when I first saw an oriole last spring, wondering because I wanted to know when to start putting out a half-an-orange for them. In my book, I wrote down a date in May last spring, so I guess I have some time yet.

Still, I'm beginning to have hope of spring.

Alas, I know my hopes will be dashed soon by more cold and snow.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up in the north. After a long, cold winter (not as bad as your winters, but still), the first robin of spring was such a sign of hope.

    Even now, my parents still call every year to report seeing a robin. It brightens my day.

    Hope you see the sun and GREEN soon!

    ReplyDelete