Thursday, December 31, 2009

Old and New

I woke up this morning to NPR's report on the financial crimes of the decade in the US. And it got me thinking about my decade.

In 1999, I moved to a new job, bought my first house (with the bank owning most of it, of course), had a dog, and had my father die. My niece and nephew were rug rats.

Over the past ten years, I've lost some weight (though I should lose more and have instead regained some of what I'd lost), played and quit EQ, put my dog to sleep, lost my great aunt M (who I was close to), bought another house (also with the bank's considerable investment and significant help from great aunt M), gotten a new car. I've taken up biking, gone skydiving, started learning to cross country ski, and done some kayaking. I've made some good friends here, people I really enjoy spending time with. I've enjoyed good health, better than in 1999 even, probably (since I exercise more). I've tried to be a good aunt and increasingly enjoy my niece and nephew.

I've been to Yellowstone twice, once on a bus, once on my bike. I've taught in Japan for a semester, seen Orangutan in Malaysia.

I've taught a lot, served on endless committees, and tried to do some other work less successfully. I've had a lot more wonderful students than not, for which I'm endlessly grateful.

All in all, it's been a pretty good decade for me. The last few years have been a lot rougher for most people than for me

My hopes for the new decade? More and better effort on research. Less BS on committees. Continued teaching, biking, skiing, kayaking, good health. Deepening friendships. My niece and nephew are more fun all the time; I hope it stays that way and look forward to seeing them become adults. I hope my ratio of wonderful to not wonderful students continues.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan, building on the last ten years.

    I'm in a different situation, having to rethink my life. During the last ten years, my husband and I retired early, enjoyed our increased time with each other, traveled a lot. Then he died suddenly in April.

    So everything is changed and I am thinking of what I want instead of what is good for Us. The one certainty is travel which I always enjoyed more than he did (he hated to fly - I never consider anything bad could happen). I want to get out of my comfort zone and go places that are unfamiliar.

    Learning looks good. I have been to some craft classes and enjoyed that. I want to do more with languages.

    I have more time to cultivate friendships on my own and to deepen those that sustained both of us in the past. This has been the most comforting thing to have happened to me since Ed's death.

    New world to negotiate. I am only 64. I feel sad and hopeful all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bardiac, I'll drink to all that! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to reflect on the activities and accomplishments of the past ten years. They seem like ten years well spent!

    Wishing you a happy and healthy 2010 and beyond with lots of good adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You went skydiving!?!?!? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your previous decade sounds really impressive! You've done/accomplished/adventured so much!

    Surely that bodes well for the next one ...

    ReplyDelete