Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Midweek Update

I've ridden 1000 miles this year.

I don't know if I'm going to do the 100 mile thing this summer. It takes a TON of time just to build up. But maybe a metric?

I saw a couple of Bobwhites the other day. Totally cool!

A couple of days ago, I went out on the hills south of town. There's a long straight downhill with good pavement (and at that time, no other traffic), and going down it I reached about 32 mph. I was scared, but held on, not peddling, but not braking either. It was GREAT! (And lots easier than peddling up the hill on the way out had been.)

The next day, I was watching the highlights from a stage of the Tour de France, one of the long, fairly flat stages. And the riders were averaging about 33 mph. Sort of just a tad faster than me!

Except that they were all peddling to go faster, on a flat, riding in the midst of a whole bunch of other people, and had been riding for several hours already.


On the deck: A while back, I blogged excitedly about seeing a couple of Rose Breasted Grosbeaks. Yesterday, I saw a female looking one feeding another female looking one from the suet feeder. So I guessed that there was a fledgling!

Today, the male was feeding a fledgling from the suet feeder. And there were two more female looking ones right near. So maybe two fledglings?

It cracks me up that the fledgling will be perched right next to the suet, within easy reach, and still to the fluttery wings, open mouth thing to get fed. Lazy kids!

Alas, sort of reminds me of myself as a fledgling!

No comments:

Post a Comment