The Combat Philosopher was kind enough to tag me. I'm slow about doing memes and such, though. Sorry. I just have difficulty thinking of stuff that isn't beyond boring.
The idea is that the blogger chooses 8 random facts, and writes them down. And tags people, and explains rules and such. But I'm a rebel, so that's it for rules, and I'll leave people to tag themselves!
1) I hated English in high school so much that I didn't take a single English class during my undergraduate degree. Looking back, I can't remember why I hated it, though. The teachers were all decent folks, but I was totally turned off.
2) When I was in the Peace Corps, someone in the area gave me a conure (a small parrot). We became friends after a bit of effort, enough so that once her primaries grew out, I'd walk around the community with her on my shoulder; she chose to hang out with me, I guess. One of the most sensual experiences I've ever had was waking up to her perched on my forehead preening my eyelashes. It's hard to imagine trusting a wild animal like that, but there you go.
I never was really into birds until I got to know them up close. Now they fascinate me on a visceral level. When you preen a really relaxed bird, you can see and feel muscles, veins, and bone under the skin, and feel the warmth. And then, a little noise, and the bird is in flight. Just amazing.
3) I had braces forever, and any number of nasty things done to my mouth and teeth when I was young. I've been told by dentists since that I had very good work done, but it wasn't fun.
4) I've never smoked or used tobacco. I thank one of my grandmothers for this, since she smoked a lot and it made me feel ucky. So I've never had an urge to try.
5) I taught myself to needlepoint in college. One of my grandmothers needlepointed and quilted, and taught my female cousins when they were young, but I wasn't interested. When I got interested, I learned, and I've done a couple of very cool projects.
6) When I was a kid, I spent so much time in the sun that I tanned through my bathing suit pattern on more than one occasion. One year, I sported an anchor on my front in different levels of tan.
7) Artichokes are my favorite vegetable; when I was a kid, my Mom let my sibling and I each choose a veggie to plant in the yard. We got two artichoke plants for me, and those plants (or their offshoots) were still producing artichokes 30 some years later, last I checked. And they were GOOD artichokes.
8) I seriously dislike the taste of beer. It's considered sort of unAmerican to dislike beer up here in the Northwoods. The only way I can really tolerate beer is mixed half and half with Coke. But then, why mess with a good Coke?
That's it. I'm supposed to tag other folks, but I've been seeing this meme go around for a while now, and I think most folks who are interested have done it. If you haven't, and you're interested, please be tagged!