Friday, January 23, 2009

In Which I Stimulate the European Economy

I bought skis (Fischer, Austria), boots (Salomon, French), and poles (Exel, Finland) today. That's what the basic cross country package was at the local shop recommended to me by A, who skis and bikes lots.

I went to the shop after skiing today with another friend, and feeling like I was ready. The shopkeeper explained things (in ways that made sense with what A has already explained), and got me set up with a basic package.

I hope it's not TOO cold tomorrow!


I'll be taking bets about which bone I'll break first. If you guess three bones at the same time, you could win a possible trifecta!

5 comments:

  1. I'm very happy for you. I think it's a great decision. Cross-country skiing, along with skating on frozen ponds, is one of the few things I miss about winters in New Hampshire. Roller blading has to do it for me here in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! When I was a kid growing up on the farm, we did a bit of cross-country skiing on the frozen, snow-covered fields. For the most part, I enjoyed it. I actually liked going out on my own better than going with a group, but regardless it was a good winter activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun for you! Let's try to keep all bones intact for at least the first week, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I put $5 on a minor stress fracture to either the wrists or ankles?

    Of course, I'll hope you remain hale and hearty, but as long as you're opening the table for bets...

    ReplyDelete
  5. J, I'm guessing the wrists would be a better bet, since the boots seem to provide a fair bit of support, but go for it!

    I hope you lose, too :)

    ReplyDelete