Monday, March 27, 2006

A quick question

I was almost convinced that spring was on its way, for about 20 minutes today, and then it got colder and overcast.

Now, not that I'm obsessing about spring or South Dakota or anything, but I have a question:

Given Ceres' response to the whole Pluto thing, what would she do with Bill Napoli?

And wouldn't you like to watch?


napoli (From Smart Bitches who Love Trashy Novels, and as seen elsewhere, such as Heo Cwaeth):

napoli (not to be confused with the proper noun, which indicates the Italian city)
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): napolied
Pronunciation: nA'poli

1. To brutalize and rape, sodomize as bad as you can possibly make it, a young, religious virgin woman who was saving herself for marriage.

2. To hella rape somebody.

Etymology: From State Senator Bill Napoli's (R-SD) description of an acceptable rape that would merit an exemption from South Dakota's abortion ban.

What's a GoogleBomb? Glad you asked!

For a brief time, I was heartened by the assertion of President Cecilia Fire Thunder that she'd open a Planned Parenthood clinic on the Oglala Reservation in SD if the law actually went into effect. Unfortunately, it looks like she and Planned Parenthood aren't quite on the same page. Still, it's a great idea. But I wonder if the tribe could carry it off, given US government interference in all sorts of ways. Would only women of the tribe be able to obtain services, or anyone?

I taught theory, writing, and "The Prioress's Tale" today. The PT seemed especially poignant; we talked about the possibility that Chaucer's representing the Prioress as pregnant (or recently delivered?), and focused on the little child because she knows what must happen to any baby she births.

I'm not totally convinced, but I can't find the reference to the argument, only my old notes, so I can't reread and rethink. (I hate when that happens, and I take MUCH better notes these days; I'm also way more careful about telling students where arguments come from rather than just presenting them as being.) O blogosphere of wisdom, can you help, please?

3 comments:

  1. Well, you've stumped me! I've never heard that reading of the Prioress! If I have time, I will dig around. Also, Studies in the Age of Chaucer has an online annotated bibliography/search engine. Google their name and you should get to it. (Because I'm too lazy, er, busy, to look it up. Sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:02 PM

    I can't help you with the Chaucer, but I do want to say thanks for introducing me to the (new and improved!) definition of "Napoli". I can't wait to start using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. V, I've been looking around too. I wish my notes said something, because I'm sure not smart enough to have come up with it myself!

    a said, you're welcome! Put it on the web and help with the google bombing!

    ReplyDelete