Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Flying Spaghetti Monster and Me

Today, I put the rack back on the not so old and quite remarkably clean (for the moment) wagon, where it looked even better than it did when the wagon was dirty, and took my friend to pick up her bike at the bike place, where they now know me by name.

(Is it a bad thing that I have an instant crush on anyone who has serious mechanical abilities? The only thing sexier than someone mechanical is someone mechanical who also knows how to cook and do dishes.)

We parked behind the bike shop building, which is also where there's outside seating for a local coffee shop, and where I got some free dog therapy from someone friendly enough to let me pet her head and tell her what a fine dog she was and wouldn't she like to come home with me, but no, she didn't want to. The person with her seemed friendly, too, except when I started talking about the dog candy I have in the car.

And then it happened, as we finished strapping the bike onto the back.

"Excuse me, but could I ask, what's that symbol just above [the car symbol] on your car?"

I was momentarily confused, and then I realized! "It's my Flying Sphaghetti Monster symbol!"

And I got to tell him a little about the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and being a Pastafarian and all, and he laughed and seemed to get a kick out of it.

He asked me if I read the local paper, because I'd enjoy one of the people who occasionally writes in, one X... and of course, X just happens to be one of my favorite colleagues, so that was fun, too.

I sent him off to google the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and promised him much fun if he did. And he agreed that it would probably be more fun to be "touched by his noodly appendage" than to feel the touch of some other frequently invoked dieties.

It's the first time anyone's actually asked me about the FSM symbol, and I'm still grinning.

PS. There are a few daffodil (?) sprouts coming up in my garden, about an inch tall. But the Tamarack needle buds on my treelings are only swollen, but not yet showing green.

Pluto!!! Back off, buddy!!

Can we please please have spring now?

5 comments:

  1. My boyfriend is a bike mechanic (and he cooks!). I have a big crush on him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:39 AM

    I love the FSM symbol! Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Negative, does he have any siblings with similar skills?

    Laustic, I got my Darwin and FSM symbols from: http://www.rof.com/

    I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bulbs and I saw Persephone trotting right past Microburg just yesterday. She seems to be heading in your direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Heo Cwaeth! Send her up my way!!

    (I can just see the beginnings of crocus leaf things showing at one part of my outside garden now. I'm beginning to have hope!)

    ReplyDelete