Saturday, March 04, 2006

Peace Corps Anniversary - 45 Years of service!

For those who aren't aware, this is the Peace Corps' 45 anniversary, and this is Peace Corps Week. Yeah, made all the big news, didn't it? Because peace is so newsworthy these days.

Enough cynicism.

I'm proud to be a returned Peace Corps Volunteer. It's probably the best thing I've ever done in my life, the greatest adventure, the most selfish and selfless at one time. My experiences challenged me and changed my life, and I'm grateful I had the opportunity to serve.

More than that, I'm privileged to know other returned PCVs, and they're an amazing bunch.

My Peace Corps group is having our second reunion this summer, and I'm so looking forward to it.

If you've thought about joining, think more. If joining isn't for you, check into other opportunities to donate expertise or money. And make sure your elected representatives know that you value the Peace Corps as the most effective and productive contribution to US foreign policy.

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to be a Peace Corps volunteer after I graduated from college, but I was too young. It's something I still think about doing, though. One of my current classmates was a PCV in Bolivia, just got back last year I believe. She tells great stories about her experience. I agree with what you said about it re: US foreign policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horray! I worked in Malawi for a few years with a different organization, and as you know, I have tremendous respect for the Corps. Whee!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JM, you might want to look into it again, eh?

    Lisa, what did you do in Malawi?

    ReplyDelete