Sunday, November 05, 2006

Remember Remember the Fifth of November

I love when planning works: I'm teaching Macbeth in my graduate seminar, and yes, they're reading an early modern text relating to the Gunpowder Plot. Reading about the Gunpowder Plot as a grad student (first I'd heard of it), I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if Guy Fawkes and company had actually managed to blow up parliament. I don't feel much sympathy with monarchs, British or otherwise. But I'm also not a big fan of violence in general, including torture. And I tend to sympathize little with people on any side willing to kill for religious beliefs.

Of course, everyone involved is long dead, so my curiousity matters little. However, I'm fascinated to see there's a Gunpowder Plot Society! Their website says they're trying to make information available. Check it out, lots of pictures and stuffs!

Want the rest of the rhyme? Check it out on Wikipedia or from a songs site.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:50 AM

    And here you go, a bit of rather good counterfactual history: What if the Gunpowder Plot had succeeded?

    ReplyDelete