Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Preparing for Visitors

This made me laugh: Amy Sedaris Seems to have a book out entitled I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence.

Here's a suggestion: "A good trick is to fill your medicine cabinet with marbles. Nothing announces a nosy guest better than an avalanche of marbles hitting a porcelain sink."

I'm totally cracking up. I would so want to run home and do this except that I don't have a medicine cabinet (what's up with building houses without medicine cabinets in ANY bathrooms?) and my one predictable and not very exciting medication lives in the kitchen so I can take it with breakfast and not forget.

A student in my class on the body suggested Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper, and I got it the other day when I went to the bookstore to grade. I didn't get much grading done, but I'm about halfway done with Picoult, and it's readable, interesting, and engaging. The book is narrated by several characters, and each one gets a different type-font; I'm interested in how two of the characters who seem quite close in some ways share similar type-fonts. Now I'll have to look for similarities in other fonts. The book starts with the basic problem that a thirteen-year-old (Annie), who was selected as an embryo to be genetically similar in certain areas with her sister, who'd been recently diagnosed with a serious leukemia, doesn't want to donate a kidney to her sister who's having kidney failure. It's a challenging premise, and working out in ways that aren't totally predictable, so I'm enjoying that.

1 comment:

  1. That was a really good book.

    A couple of semesters ago someone recommended it to me while I was teaching a medical ethics course. I started reading it and immediately assigned it as extra-credit. My students who were reading it would come to class every week and compare what they'd read...

    I read faster than the rest of them and when someone wanted to discuss the ending, I'd have to stop them.

    Enjoy the book -- she's a pretty good author and I think this one may be her best.

    ReplyDelete