Sunday, April 10, 2011

Proserpina is Almost Up the Stairs!


Look! There's a new baby pinecone on the tree that had a pinecone last year. I'm not sure how long it takes for them to develop. I didn't think to look carefully earlier this spring, so I don't know how long it's been there. I haven't seen any on my other "big" pine tree, though. But maybe soon!

Some of my crocuses are up and blooming. It takes a couple of years for a group of bulbs to look quite right, or at least to look like a fairly thick clump. And I keep adding a few more (or a fair number more) most years. I'm sort of weirded out right now because I have some ideas for where I'd like to put bulbs next, but I won't be here in fall to put them in. Weird!

I put in what I hope will be a nice little area this past fall. There's an iris in here, too, that should get going soon and then maybe I'll put in some pansies or something. I want something that's nice and little, and that has at least the possibility of reseeding, and I gather pansies will do that here?

Finally, here's a little goldfinch, starting to come into his breeding plumage, and having a bit of a stretch.

Here he is again, making sure I'm not an evil predator.

3 comments:

  1. Those pictures are REALLY lovely! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:50 PM

    Pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. So jealous. I never remember to plant crocusessss. Will alyssum grow in your area? They reseed very nicely.

    ReplyDelete