Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy New Year!

I had a wonderful New Year's Eve. It might not be for everyone, but it was perfect for me.

My friend rented a movie, Breaking Away, and we took our bikes down to her DVD player and put them on the trainers next to each other. As you can see, my bike is already slightly ahead!

We had appetizers (yummy marinated veggies) and punch (with cranberry and amaretto), and then we turned on the movie and rode until our rears were getting unhappy. (That seems to happen MUCH faster on a trainer; I think we don't move around nearly as much because we aren't balancing and going up and down and sutff.) Then we had a perfect dinner. And we rode some more. Then we had dessert, courtesy of another friend who left me a treat for taking care of her cats for a couple days. (I'm very lucky to have friends who are great cooks.)

And then we rode to the end of the movie.

And you know what, it was pretty much a perfect evening. We had fun and played on our bikes. The movie would have been better with more biking and less talk, but it was fun to bike along.

Here's my trusty Trek, ready for a winter ride.

Here's wishing you all a happy new year, good health, happiness, and oh, yeah, world peace.

3 comments:

  1. I love "Breaking Away!" Especially the bar fight scene where the one guy has a bowling ball stuck to his hand. I haven't seen it in years; maybe I should change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to ride on the trainer while watching Breaking Away, but it didn't work and I never finished it. If I'd had a friend along, though, that probably would have been different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched that movie at TNXgiving with two of my students, one of whom is going to Indiana U. on a music scholarship (bass player) in the fall. It was my favorite movie when I was 20 years old, so I made her watch it. It holds up really well.

    Of course, I have no idea if Bloomington is like that at all anymore!

    ReplyDelete