Saturday, June 12, 2010

In the Garden


This looks like the first ever pinecone for one of the four white pines I've planted since I moved in. (I planted two in the first year, and two more a few years later, so the first ones are significantly further along.) I wonder if there's a lower age or size below that white pines have to go beyond before they're reproductively mature? Do they produce pollen before they'll produce cones? (I'm wondering if the other tree could have pollinated this one, or if it could pollinate itself? Or if there are other pines close enough.) It all makes me want to study some more botany!

I bought myself a weed whacker sort of thing today, expecting to whack myself a path down to the lower yard (there are spiny things in the way). But apparently the battery needs to charge for at least 8 hours (and it came with two batteries), so today the first one has been charging, and the other will get to charge overnight.

Keep your fingers crossed that I don't whack my own ankles while I'm at it.


Look! I found some information on white pines! From reading up, I'm going to guess the first pines I planted were about 10-15 years old when I planted them, and are now 15-20 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment