Friday, July 11, 2008

Lunch Guests

Like lots of other folks, I have a couple bird feeders because I enjoy seeing the local birds come snack.

Lately, this female Rose-Breasted Grosbeak has come by a couple times. As you can see here, she's enjoying a quick snack at the no-waste feeder. I only think she's a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak because I've seen her hanging out next with a male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, and they both look pretty much exactly like the pictures in my bird book. Otherwise, who knows what I'd try to identify her as. So really, I'm not much of a birder.

And here she is again, having some suet. Good times. See how graceful she is?

I hang the suet feeder on a little trellis thingy, so that I can see it out the window of the sunroom. (Unfortunately, while it's pretty good viewing, the bug screens make the pictures less clear than they would be otherwise. At least I like to think that's the problem.)

Oh, now here are some other guests come to visit the feeder. At first only one of the pair would feed at the suet feeder, though I could see the other hanging around. But a while back, the second one started feeding there, too. Usually one would wait on the deck railing or roof while the other fed, and then sort of take turns, but on this day, they fed together.

Okay, so you put a couple crows together, and before you know it, there's a new mouth to feed.

Starting about two weeks ago, a third crow would hang out, waiting for the parents (or so I guess) to get down from the feeder. As soon as they did, he'd be all in their face flapping and begging and making a nuisance of himself.

And now, the parents have gotten tired of the begging, but the kid hasn't quite got the hang of the suet feeder. He's trying, though!

1 comment:

  1. You're right, they are Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. I love them (and yes, I am a birder).

    ReplyDelete