Monday, October 17, 2011

Rough Night

See that last post, the one that whines about how tired I was yesterday?

I went to bed. And I was working on getting to sleep, which isn't always easy.

And then, about 11:30 or a bit later, there was a lot of noise, loud clunking footsteps and banging. And I thought, damn, those students upstairs! Sometimes there was a series of five loud footsteps, and then a pause, then five back, and then a pause, and another five, and so on. Sometimes the pause was long enough that I had hope the noise would stop. Sometimes it sounded like it was coming from the other faculty who lives in the next room on this corridor. But it went on a long while.

I wanted to go upstairs and yell, but I'm not sure how to get up to that area, and didn't want to go up there in my nightshirt.

And finally it stopped.

***

This afternoon, at lunch, my neighbors on this floor, a faculty member and spouse, laughingly asked if I'd heard them vaccuuming at 12:30 in the morning.

I wish I'd figured out it was them and banged on the door when I had to get up for breakfast and lecture before effing teaching, say at 6:30 am.

Who the hell vaccuums at 12:30 am? And then laughs about it?

What could be so unliveable that you'd have to come in and vaccuum immediately, that couldn't possibly wait for regular morning? (I can't think of anything that doesn't involve crossing body boundaries in some Bakhtinian grotesque nightmare.)

They didn't get up for breakfast or have to teach this morning at all. Hi-fucking-larious, I tell you.

Now I have to make a karmaic apology to the students I was cursing from my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment