Thursday, October 27, 2011

Help!!! (Tree Identification)

I went to Burghley House the other day, and it's amazing. I'll post more pics soon, even. Meanwhile, I saw this tree. When I first saw it, the trunk and bark looked a lot like a redwood tree to me.

But the needle things look NOTHING like a redwood at all. They're rounded and scaled, and there's lots of them.

Nor do the cones (shown here with my thumb so you get an idea of the size).

For some reason, I've got it into my head that I really want to know what this tree is, but I've been looking at on-line tree identification keys (for the UK and elsewhere) and I'm totally befuddled. But I'm sure for someone, this is an easy call.

Please help me keep what little sanity I still have and tell me what the tree is!

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a cedar to me. Maybe a western red?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried that, alas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuja_plicata

    The needle things look longer on this, and the cone different (but maybe that's maturity?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:35 PM

    I think it's a type of cypress. E.g. something like this or related:
    http://www.tree-shop.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productheadingID=998
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamaecyparis_lawsoniana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty sure it's a Leyland Cypress, or Cupressocyparis Leylandii. Just going by the foliage shape, the appearance of the trunk, and the size of the cones. Plus the fact that it's on the estate, combined with this http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites/welshpool/pages/leightonhall.shtml :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it sure does look like a leyland cypress. and how funny that is related to monterey cypress. small world, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, some kind of (non-native, ornamental) Cypress. Very popular decorative additions to stately homes a couple of centuries ago!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sequoiadendron giganteum (Giant Sequoia)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sequoiadendron giganteum (Giant sequoia)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A type of cedar by its foliage.

    ReplyDelete