Saturday, January 07, 2012

Good to Be There

Last year, I came out for an aunt's funeral. And this year, an uncle's partner has died, so I went with my Mom to the memorial. It was beautifully done, but very sad, as you'd expect.

I saw one of my cousins whom I haven't seen for years, yes years. I didn't recognize him at first, but then, he has his father's eyes, except different. My cousin has such sad eyes in some way I can't quite explain.

I wish I were around more to be able to just see and talk to my cousins more casually. I usually see them under sort of stressful or rushed circumstances, with lots of people around.

I also had lunch the other day with another cousin, one I got to know again last year at our aunt's service; we've gotten together several times now, and talked on the phone and it's been more than lovely getting to know him as adults.

Anyway, sad as it was, I was glad to be there today to give my uncle a bit of support. And I was glad to see so many other family members there, too.

We had a bit of a drive today, and I was reminded of how easy it can be to tell directions around here because you can see mountains and know which way they run. I never know that in the Northwoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment