Monday, June 29, 2009

Small Town Summer

One of the music folks here organizes a concert series during the summer, and I've been trying to take advantage of my free time this summer to go. Yeah, I often ponder the relative lack of cultural activities here, but the university does a pretty good job filling the void in some ways. And the community does stuff, too. The void is probably best filled in terms of music.

This concert series is mostly soloists or small groups. One week there was a woodwind trio, another a classical guitarist, and this weekend a string group with flute or oboe (changed that person out).

One of the things I'm really enjoying about the small groups is that I can hear instruments that are in bigger groups but I don't really hear them. Yesterday, the viola was the instrument I heard more than usual, and it was lovely, full, warm, and balanced with the others. There was a piece where the melody got passed, first the flute, then the violin, then the cello, then the viola, and I loved getting to hear each of the instruments fill the moment.

Cultcha!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:40 AM

    I love the viola. You rarely get to hear very much of it, but I used to have a friend who played. it's a lovely instrument. how nice to hear some live music!

    ReplyDelete