Saturday, March 24, 2007

What I did on my spring break - Friday and Saturday

Random bullets of vacation goodness!

*I thumbnailed a flea. I either got it from playing with my handyman's dog, or picked it up while wandering the "back 40" area of the yard, talking with the handyman about where the new Bluebird box should go, and where he'd move the Wren box, and where the batbox will go. At least it wasn't a tick. I detest ticks. I'll thumbnail a dozen fleas happily, but I hate killing ticks. Now, of course, every hint of anything on my skin has me looking for fleas and ticks.

*I got and painted a batbox matte (brown). The guy in the hardware store helped me find the right primer/sealer. I love bats and hardware stores, not necessarily in that order.

*I moved one of my wren boxes from the back to the front yard, in hopes that a second pair will use it. We'll see. I also got a Bluebird box.

*I cleaned up the planting boxes on the deck, but resisted the futile effort of actually putting in seeds. 50' F weather is deceptive at this time of the year; it may look and feel great today, but it could snow tomorrow. I confess that I did look longingly at sunflower and vine seeds for more than a few moments before fully appreciating the futility. This may mean that I've adapted somewhat to midwestern seasons.

*I rode 20 miles today, at just over 15 mph on average, which seems to put me pretty close to where I was in early January, fitness-wise. My new shoes felt comfy (still and again), and my feet didn't go numb the way they have with the old softer tennies (which, biking folks say, has to do with the way pressure on your feet works). I've now tried out my padded shorts in every way you can imagine and come to the conclusion that the experts know what they're talking about.

*I cleaned up a bit in the "back 40" and beyond. I don't know how so much litter gets there, especially plastic bags and pieces of tarp, but dang! I think I'm going to put in some more trees, maybe a Crabapple or something, and some more White Pines.

*Grading? Not nearly as much as I should have!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you explained about the batbox. My first reaction was "Bardiac is a . . . baseball fan?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The very mention of a tick is enough to make my skin crawl. And then crawl some more. I'm not at all squeamish about insects, but ticks are different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cruel and sudden, hast thou since
    Purpled thy nail in blood of innocence?
    Wherein could this flea guilty be,
    Except in that drop which it suck'd from thee?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:05 PM

    Hee. I'm so glad someone posted Donne.

    (back to lurking... love the blog!)

    ReplyDelete