Friday, September 24, 2010

Co-Workers

Yesterday, our chair sent me a thing from admissions asking departments to help with several big advising days. The idea is to bring lots of prospective students to campus on these days and departments will allow some class visits, have demonstrations, whatever. (Science departments have a huge advantage with the demonstrations thing. I can't blow stuff up the way chemists can! It's hard to make reading in a library look as exciting, even when it really is.)

So, I did a little brainstorming with a colleague and sent out a request to colleagues and student groups for help with class visits, faculty open office times, and student groups.

I've got something cool for every single day already, and we haven't even gotten to lunch.

Yep, our department folks and students jumped right in and offered to help in little ways, and those little ways really add up beautifully. Yesterday, I was doubtful we'd manage to put anything together. Today, I'm just hoping a lot of students show up who are interested in English studies!

***

I'm doing a presentation for our majors in about a month, and asked our main administrative assistant to put together a little poster thing for advertising. Yesterday, she asked me to drop by her desk, and then showed me an absolutly beautiful little poster she'd mocked up. It's clear and easy to read, and manages to be eye catching at the same time.

Yep, once again, she stepped up and is going to make me look oh so much better than I'd ever do myself.

Thank goodness for my colleagues and students and their willingness to help out.

2 comments:

  1. yay! the deanlets are far outnumbered by people who care about the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to know some of the cool stuff you've got planned. We always have trouble coming up with things like this too, especially compared to the blowing things up brigade.

    ReplyDelete