Saturday, February 16, 2013

Winter Birds

I sometimes use the blog as a searchable record of stuff that's not really important, but sort of important.  Today, I'm doing that with yard birds I've been seeing this winter.

Common:
Dark-eyed Juncoes (some years, they don't stay, but this year they're staying)
House Sparrow
Blue Jay
American Crow
Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Tufted Titmouse
Goldfinch (the one this morning looked like he might be brightening up!)
Northern Cardinal
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker

Less often:
Common Redpoll (once this winter)
Horned Owl (on a neighbor's tree)
House Finch (seeing more and more)
Mourning Dove (a couple, once this winter; they're fairly regular in sumer here)


Most of these are year-round residents, though the Juncoes usually leave in spring, and the Redpolls I see rarely, and it seems only in deep winter.

I'm ready for spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment