Monday, February 04, 2008

Jitters

I've been having vivid dreams of late, and some teaching anxiety dreams. In one of them, all the students sat on the edges of the class, and wouldn't say anything. Happily, students in college are mostly interested in being there, and usually do their part to make a good classroom chemistry. So I'm not really worried about that. And the classrooms here aren't laid out like that, even.

Then I had a dream about teaching fourth grade. Yeah, fourth grade. That really would be a nightmare! I was trying to find someone to ask a question of, or something, but the classroom was in a different building and I couldn't find what I was looking for. Then I woke up.

I am a bit nervous about teaching my first class tomorrow. I got the class list today, and of course, the names aren't quite as easy for the English speaking memory as Sally or Joe. On the other hand, I don't have four Britneys.

I've been thinking about it. My teaching here is going to be at the edges of my experience, and that's really challenging. It's pushing me in composition teaching, which I consider a weak spot. And then there's the whole classroom culture thing, and that's where I expect the real challenges.

I'm also very excited about it. I'm going to learn so much, and I'm looking forward to how what I learn is going to challenge my assumptions about how classroom teaching and such "work" for me.

I still need to get a copy of the course packet I sent in. I hope the copying worked okay, and that it will make sense when I put it into use!

Wish me good teaching, and fun, interesting students! (And wish them a fast-grading, patient, and caring teacher!)

3 comments:

  1. You'll be great--have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fantastic experience for you - yeah, I'm a little jealous. I do indeed wish you good teaching and interesting students; I'll extend that to fun teaching and happy students, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete