Sunday, June 11, 2006

Random Sunday early Monday

I meant to write a quick post Sunday, but now it's early Monday morning, and I'm getting to it.

One of my favorite former students was in town for a family thing, and visited me, too. She's just amazing, a neat person, already wonderful, and headed for more wonderful things. I'm so glad we had a chance to sit and chat and relax.

I talked to two of the friends I'm planning to see along my trip today; one of them is making an appointment for us to visit Washoe, the signing chimp. I'm blown away that I've read about Washoe since I was in college (and studying critters and such), and I'm actually going to go see her. Just, wow. More than that, I just can't wait to see Ironic Friend again; she makes me laugh in a way few people ever have, and she's so self-aware and just brilliant, way beyond anything I could dream of. When I'm with her, it's like in Virginia Woolf's To the Lighthouse, where Mr. Ramsey thinks about how far along the alphabet he is or isn't intellectually. When I'm with IF, I can see there's an L out there; I may only be at D, but I know L's out there. That's IF, probably the smartest person I knew in grad school, certainly the funniest.

I also talked to my best College Pal. I'm not sure I was ever as important to him as he was to me, but he's one of probably the two or three best people I've ever known, and I've had the privilege to know a lot of fine people. Still, CP is something special. There are probably three people I really miss from my homeland, and CP is the one I most miss. So I can't wait to just sit quietly and chat and talk for however long we can.

I've been getting ready for the trip, putting out clothes, tying up loose ends. I have a couple hours of work to do at the office in the morning, and then packing, but I'm hoping to get out on the road by early afternoon. Yeah, right.

Anyway, I probably won't be blogging much for the next month or so because I'm off for an adventure.

Adventure, here I come!

4 comments:

  1. Have fun on the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOH! I'm SO envious of the Washoe meet-up. Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no! No Bardiac! My less selfish thought is, Have a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy! Have a safe trip!!

    ReplyDelete