Sunday, August 22, 2010

School's Around the Corner

I've lived in other countries a few times, and traveled a little, and something I've learned is that when I'm in a new situation, especially when I'm trying to live in a second language, I'm pretty much tired all the time. It's exhausting. But it does get easier.

So I'm not surprised that my student visitors are pretty tired.

We did go out for a bit today to walk around campus, and went into a couple dorms that happened to be open. It was nice to see their rooms, and to see how suddenly seeing their rooms seemed to relax them. I think they were sort of worried about their housing (would it be okay, familiar enough, something they could adapt to?), and now they feel that yes, the rooms are okay and they'll be able to adapt. And that's a big stress reliever.

A few of the dorms were open because the band members have come early to have practice, so campus was having that feeling it gets when more students are around, and things are getting more exciting.

1 comment:

  1. yay, band! and i think it must have been a big relief to see their rooms -- just to have a sense of knowing where they will be.

    my daughter's first dorm room was pretty much the ugliest one i'd ever seen anywhere [and i did my time in the cinderblock era, saw plenty of dorms on various campuses]. but hey! she could work with it!

    ReplyDelete