Friday, August 27, 2010

Big Cheese

I spent a little time today going over my new responsibilities with the person who had those responsibilities, and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. Maybe more than a little.

I need to go talk to some folks in other offices across campus to learn more about what they do and how I can use their expertise to help our students.

At this moment, I feel like I can't quite hold the basic organization/concerns in my head enough to organize myself to take the next steps.

1) Figure out office hours for the advising part.
2) Figure out how the careers, advising, and skills offices work.
3) Figure out who's doing what in our advising.
4) Figure out a big overarching "watch for this date" schedule for our students.
5) Figure out big meetings.

The person I'm taking over for did a GREAT job setting up these big advising meetings to talk about stuff. One a semester was for group advising, one for people who are thinking about grad school, one for careers, one for scholarships and other activities. But scheduling them is a nightmare.

I have big shoes to fill. I'm hoping my new fingertoes shoes will help.

Just writing down stuff helps a little, anyway.

How am I going to implement the new biking requirement?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:38 PM

    Good luck! Sounds like you're already off to a great start with the organization, if this post is any indication. :)

    What is that saying about how every journey begins with a single step or something? One step. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How am I going to implement the new biking requirement?

    *sporfle*

    You'll do an awesome job. Remember that your datebook/calendar is your friend. Ask drop-by people if you can schedule them in for another day so you can go over their concerns rather than just taking it on the chin every time.

    ReplyDelete