Monday, April 20, 2009

Reverse Deja Vu

You know how in movies, you'll see a character do something, and then things will fade, and the same character, 20 years later, greying, walk a little less bouncy, is doing the exact same thing?

As I walked across the parking lot to the office building this morning, I had that feeling that I could blink and 20 years would have gone by, and I'd still be walking across the parking lot heading to work. It wasn't a good or bad feeling, just a feeling that time is fleeting.

On one hand, I try to do good, meaningful work, so I hope it's worth the time. And the state pays me, which means I can eat, afford shelter and so forth.

On the other hand, I've never been in a life situation without some major change for more than about 5 years. My current situation is longer than any has ever been before for me. I'm in the same house, at the same job/school now for 5 and 9 years, respectively.

But things should change drastically. We're hoping to build a couple new buildings on campus (yes, funds have been set aside for two, our first in about 25 years), and that will change the landscape of my life, hopefully in good ways.

And in 20 years, I probably won't have the same car; heck, I may not have a car. If I do, it probably won't be much like what I drive now. I doubt the parking lots are going to look the same, though my office might. (It's a good thing it got painted in colors I like!)

1 comment:

  1. carpe paintum!

    i can't really project so far into the future. things always change in unexpected ways.

    ReplyDelete