Friday, April 17, 2015

Optimism: Spring Garden

I put the first plants of the year in the raised beds today.  First I dug them up (or, as the weeds think of it, gave them a deep massage), except for the strawberries that made it through the winter (lower left of the first picture).
 
 

Here's a bit closer look at the strawberries.


And here's the new plants.  Not much to look at!  I planted three each of kale, broccoli, spinach, and a lettuce in this bed.  (I'm trying to be a little more sane than last year.)


We're expecting more cold weather, but if these plants don't make it, I'll put seeds in directly, and that will probably work, too.

Last year, it looks like I planted the beds in early May, about the 7th.  But then, I had to wait until they were built last year.  Still, given how prolific the garden was, I'm not too worried if I have to put seeds in after some more cold.  And the other three beds aren't planted at all yet (except for the strawberries from last year).

I'm thinking of carrots in the strawberry bed, and then one "hill" each of summer squash and zucchini, and then I'm going to try to grow sugar pumpkins on the deck in planters, and tomatoes in planters, maybe, too.

1 comment:

  1. After the long winter we had, it's so nice to see gardens again! I'm looking forward to May days in the garden after the semester is (finally!) over.

    ReplyDelete