Sunday, April 26, 2015

Grasslands

I went out and birded a grassy area today and saw my first Savannah Sparrows (many of them, here's one, in two shots), and some Sandhill Cranes, which are pretty prehistoric looking birds.
 
As I was walking along alone, thinking about other places one might be walking along in a grassland, I was very happy not to have major predators around.  I don't worry about lions or leopards, for example, or even wolves.  I suppose if I trip over a badger I'm in real trouble, but other than that, there aren't many beasts around that are big enough and carnivorous enough to want to eat me.  Just as well.
 



1 comment:

  1. Love these! In early March I saw a pair of sandhill cranes just hanging out in a roadside ditch. I wanted to stop and take photos but there was no shoulder. They did not seem at all bothered by the traffic.

    ReplyDelete