Monday, April 13, 2015

Concert Time!

I'm doing a concert.  Yes, me.  Here, on campus.  It's probably not what you think, but it's tomorrow.

A voice faculty member, let's call him Luciano, and I were talking, and he mentioned that he gives his voice students art song settings of Shakespeare's songs, mostly from the 19th century.  We talked some more, and decided to do a concert.  That's how amazing the music folks are.

He contacted two other music faculty, let's call them Beverly and Dean; Beverly's going to sing, and Dean is going to accompany them on piano.

Me?  I'm going to talk, which is a good thing because I can do that, but I can't sing like Luciano and Beverly can.

In the early stages, Luciano suggested that his students don't know the contexts of the songs in the plays, and that's where I come in.  So, for the songs we're doing, I've put together a short lecture bit, introducing the program and song in Shakespeare's plays, and then a short bit giving context for each of the songs they've chosen.

I'm excited, but also a bit nervous.  I'm sure once Luciano and Beverly sing no one will worry much about what I have to say!

I like the idea of our collaboration; it's neat to do something with these folks.

4 comments:

  1. That's a really great form of campus collaboration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's super cool! I wish I could see it! This seems to me like something that would be good to video tape for posterity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:54 PM

    Gosh, I wish there was a meld of your and my institutions. We require students to go to various arts and musical performances and something like this could actually interest some of them. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds so fun -- good for you and your music colleagues!

    ReplyDelete