Sunday, August 11, 2013

Colonel Mustard, in the Front Yard, with a Scrubbrush

I went out early this morning to water some container plants, and was shocked to see what looked like bright yellow paint slashed across my neighbors' (X) garage door, front door, mailbox, and driveway.  I thought about calling them, but it was early, and I figured they'd notice it when they got up.  So I went back in and had my coffee.

And after a bit, another neighbor (Y) came by and asked if I had X's cell number, and had I seen.  Y said he'd checked, and it felt tacky still, but he doesn't have much sense of smell, so couldn't identify it.  We called X, and X said that one of the kid's friends had gotten egged recently, so it was probably something like that.  But they were away for the weekend.

Y and I agreed that we'd wash it off, after I took some pictures (just in case it was serious) and he had some breakfast with his family.  Then I put on shoes and went over, and as soon as I got near, I could smell the mustard.  Wow, that much mustard smells strong!  But that was good news, since mustard is pretty washable.

We started hosing and scrubbrushing, and another neighbor came and brought a big broom and used that to help wash away the driveway mustard.

Is mustard the new thing? 

7 comments:

  1. I think it is awesome and really sweet that all you neighbors got together to look out for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:20 AM

    That is very nice of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are such great neighbors!! I've never heard of mustard as a prank. Might be easier to get rid of than toilet paper on a house, though; my neighbors got TP'd (they have a teeneged son) and it was impossible to get all the TP out of the trees. There were wet draggled streamers for weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give the nasty brats any ideas. We have some aimless vandals, whether tweens, teens or adults, it's unknown, but they occasionally egg, TP and smash glass. Glad that you could all come together and clear this out - less evidence and less emotional feeding of the culprits' egos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we got married someone wrote "just married" on the rear window of our car with mustard, and it dried so hard it was just murder to scrape off, and washing just smeared it around. Next time I need mustard removed, though, I'll know whom to call!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been the recipient of your kindness a number of times in terms of academics. This just goes to show that you are an all-around awesome person. Everyone should be so kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, I haven't heard of mustarding (maybe it's a verb now that it's a new thing?). You all are very generous in helping out your neighbor, and I'm sure it was much easier to clean off now than once it had dried!

    ReplyDelete