Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summer Stress

Summer is the time when things are supposed to be less stressful, but right now, it's not feeling that way.

I have a ton of things I need to take care of before I go away, and most of them I have less control over than I'd like.

I have to arrange to get three people together about a floor. One of them, it's his job, so 9-5. Another, it's not his job, so after 5. Gah.

I have to reread for my classes, because I haven't taught a lot of this stuff in 10 years. In a way, though, this shows how messed up some things in my dept are, clearly, and what I've got to do to try to change that.

And I'm going to visit my Mom for a big family thing, and for nearly a week. I shouldn't be stressed about this, but I am. The week comes in the middle of when I need to be taking care of other stuff, including serious reading and writing.

Of course, when I complain about it, my problems look absurdly easy. Just do 1. Then do 2, and so on. But it's not feeling that way at all.

I have taken care of some things, really. Just not nearly enough.

2 comments:

  1. good luck with the family thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything progresses in a calm and peaceful manner. :)

    Thought of you/your class this morning when re-reading Woof's _A Room of One's Own_. Love this: "All women together ought to let flowers fall upon the tomb of Aphra Behn, which is, most scandalously but rather appropriately, in Westminster Abbey, for it was she who earned them the right to speak their minds" (p. 72 in Cambridge UP edition).

    ReplyDelete