Friday, January 04, 2008

Wrapping Up Thoughts

We get emailed grade reports for our advisees, so I went in yesterday and filed them away, and then I wrote my advisees the usual monthly letter. Except, of course, it wasn't usual.

It's weird, because it's not like I socialize lots with my advisees, or even see them really very often, but I'm going to miss them. I'm sure they'll do just fine without me around, but I'll miss seeing them in the halls. Universities, even small ones, are fairly big places, and it's nice to recognize some of the faces.

New Kid wrote about the difficulty of doing the first day(s) of classes yesterday, and she's so right. It's hard to walk into a classroom filled with folks and try to make it a good learning environment and a good overall environment.

Seeing my advisees among a group of new students makes it easier for me, makes me feel more comfortable right off. Saying hello in the halls makes the whole world feel friendlier.

Take good care, advisees! And don't forget to keep in touch!

1 comment: