Monday, April 28, 2014

Energy

I'm still slightly under the weather.  As I was walking to my 2 hour class today, psyching myself up to appear energized, I thought about how much energy it takes to enact "professor" in a classroom, and how absolutely vital it is to try to put forward the energy.  I don't think teaching and learning are all my responsibility in a classroom, but I think my trying to enact "professor" with good energy makes a difference.  And is difficult sometimes.

I've gotten hardly any exercise while I've been feeling under the weather, so finally, Sunday, I rode my bike on the trainer for half an hour.  It was fine, and I feel better for it, but I can't imagine trying to compete in any sort of real way while feeling under the weather.  I can fake my way through teaching a bit, but I couldn't fake my way on a bike at all.


2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah. I think it's so important for the professor to be as "up" as possible in class. Otherwise, the whole class droops. It's SO hard to get that energy going when you're sick. I hope you feel better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally true! And that performance tends to work on me as well; once I've psyched myself up to be all rah-rah-teaching, I'll feel completely energetic and focused and alive during class ... and then, within five minutes of the students leaving, I'll be wiped out and feeling sick again. Hope you're on the mend soon.

    ReplyDelete