Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Bit of Frustration

I put in my SAA (that's the Shakespeare Association of America) registration choices today.  There were one or two things where I thought, okay, I could make that work.  And then, not so much.

But I chose two more.

This sometimes happens, and then I get the third or fourth choice, and by the time I get it, I'm buried in the semester, teaching my 11 credits, and digging through committee stuff.  So sometimes, all too often, I pull out of the seminar because I just don't have it in me to do the paper.

I wish they'd let me just put in for two seminars, and if I don't get those, I just know I'm not going.  Maybe for people who aren't overwhelmed by teaching, or who have better research facilities, or who have more self-discipline, this system works.  It worked better for me when I was finishing my dissertation.

But now, not so much.

On the other hand, my classes seem to be going well, and it's now the end of the second week, almost.  I've been feeling like I'm getting good work done pretty much every day this semester, so far, and not feeling hugely frustrated by committee stuff (there's plenty of it, but it isn't as frustrating right now as it was last year).

I've already graded small assignments for every course, so I feel as if I'm getting to know the students a bit.

And I'm so happy to be teaching all literature type stuff this semester!  This week:  Lanval, "Everyday Use," Book I of The Faerie Queene (well, the first few stanzas, so far), and The Shoemaker's Holiday.  Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment