Saturday, July 09, 2011

Not to Worry

I was talking to a friend/colleague, C, the other day, and was happy to note that since I'll be away, I can't possibly be on any search committee next year. But C noted that what with the budget stuff, we might not learn that we're allowed to do a search until way late, so I might get drafted anyway.

We've had some folks leave unexpectedly. One was close to retirement, and decided it was time, another moved to be closer to family, and another moved to follow a partner's employment. Things are going to be a bit tight in several ways this coming year, but especially in terms of some fairly specific classes.

The state system here has been getting weaker and weaker at least since I've been here. I expect a few of my junior colleagues to be on the market this fall, hoping to leave the sinking ship (and rightly so).

3 comments:

  1. Things do seem different lately, in higher ed...and I'm still not sure how to feel about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. This does not sound good. I hope those tenure lines are secure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've dropped from fourteen faculty members to nine in the last few years. Nary a one has been replaced. It's catastrophic for the students, but the highest level of administration doesn't seem to see that!

    ReplyDelete