Saturday, July 23, 2011

Last Minute

I leave for Shakespearelandia tomorrow!

I've never been there before, so I'm super excited, and on edge. I doubt I'll sleep tonight. If you have ideas of what I should do, please post them!

I'm mostly packed except for bathroom stuff and stuff I'll wash tonight.

Thank goodness for good friends.

And at the same time as I'm utterly excited, I'm also horrified by what happened in Norway.

And glad for Evans, sad for Schleck. Both are amazing riders (as are others who bike at that level).

And frustrated by politicians. It's time to raise taxes, folks, and pay for our education system, infrastructure, and social services. And while we're at it, can we get ourselves out of wars?

6 comments:

  1. Hope you have an amazing time (which I'm sure you will)! Safe travels and best wishes for lots of future happy memories.

    (re: Norway, exactly...horrifying, tragic, terrible...can hardly even talk about it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Schlecks are young; they'll have other chances. It's good Evans got it now.

    Have a great trip!

    (ditto Ink re Norway)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long are you on this side of the pond, and where? In London: the Courtauld Gallery is an exquisite little museum in the Strand (in Somerset House). £6 entry fee, which is reasonable but just enough that it is much less crowded than the free museums like the National Gallery, Tate Britain, etc. Its Rubens room made me rethink my position on Rubens. And I fell in love with some of its Cézannes.

    Also in London: buy a day travelcard (which is valid on buses) and board one of the double-deckers at its first stop, so you can get a seat up front on top. Then ride it to the end. The #11 bus from Fulham to Liverpool Street takes you past the Houses of Parliament, up Whitehall, around Trafalgar Square, and then up the Strand. Sometimes you'll get a chatty driver who points out tourist attractions.

    If Oxford is on your itinerary, definitely drop me a line. It's my home away from home for the summer and I'd be happy to meet up.

    Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Safe travels, Bardiac! Do let us know about the fun stuff you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a fantastic time! As you're going to one of my favorite countries, I can't wait to hear about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are based in London for the whoever time, it's worth getting at least the pay as you go Oyster card - you will get reduced fares, and if you're going to a lot of places in a day, you essentially never pay more than the day travel card.

    ReplyDelete