Thursday, December 09, 2010

Morning Radio

I was listening to NPR this morning, and they had a little thing on about how some (and I emphasize some) military chaplains are resisting the repeal of DADT. One of the chaplains complained that he shouldn't have to "choose between his religion and his job."

Well, yes, you do have to choose. Unlike the gay and lesbian military personnel you are currently supposed to serve, you get to choose. Having that choice is a privilege.

If you can't serve the people the military needs you to serve, then choose not to enlist or re-enlist.

5 comments:

  1. I had the exact same thought. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DrGunPowderPlot9:03 AM

    I heard this story too, and when I hear things like this, I always think: oh, so this is the real teaching of Jesus/Mohammed/Buddha/whomever--discrimination? Your religion isn't about LOVE, it's about SELF-RIGHTEOUSNESS. Of course you shouldn't have to minister to people whom you don't like for whatever reason. Maybe they got pregnant out of wedlock; maybe they are poor; maybe they were born gay. Yes, that's exactly what Jesus would have done.

    Silly, silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:58 AM

    you know what else? Some liberal-minded Christians need to get out there and serve as military chaplains. As it stands, only the most conservative fringe seem to sign up for the job--an oddity among chaplains, who tend to be an open-minded lot by necessity of serving a wide variety of people. Not to rant in your comments but I teach in a master's in chaplaincy program, so I know the typical profile and I know what kind of person chooses military chaplaincy (and who doesn't).

    my word verification is poocone, which is irrelevant but too funny not to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a niggle. Chaplains are officers and thus don't enlist. They sign contracts.

    But yeah, I had the same reaction. He didn't want to choose, but was forcing others to chose. Jerk.

    ReplyDelete