Monday, December 06, 2010

Bleargh

I just spent the evening with five other people. Three of them had connections to a specific city, and to specific sports teams in that city. I was not one of those three.

I was bored stiff.

Is there anything more boring than people going on about specific sports events they went to that mean nothing to me? If there is, I don't want to sit through it.

I don't want to hear about the sports event you went to when you cheered such and so, or the other event you went to when you had good seats, or any of it.

I don't know if it's just that I'm totally out of step or if it's just one of those things where three of us pretty much didn't say anything.

Okay, and if there's anything that gets close to the boredom of sports I don't care about, it's TV I don't care about.

And the next step down in boredom level is someone extolling the wonders of their elite graduate institution.

And now I have insomnia; I think it's because the food was heavy and is sitting on my stomach in bad ways.

6 comments:

  1. I think the only thing worse than the sports stories is hearing people tell stories of money they won gamboling... because, you also know they don't tell stories about what they lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter5:59 AM

    You know, that's a great concept. I wish we could win money gamboling--and flitting and larking. Not enough idle magic in our lives. Every so often, a typo holds a lovely truth.

    As for sports, I happen to like football, so I'm one of those dreary drudges, but I'm ravishingly innocent of knowledge about any other sport. So, the tedium descends when people go on about basketball.

    What's truly awful about that occasion is not what the people were talking about (well, the virtues of the elite graduate institution smacks of everything distasteful), but that social sense didn't somehow prevail for the whole group to find new topics when those were clearly meaningless for some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby feels the same way when I'm with a group of academic friends and talk about Shakespeare all night. He likes Shakespeare, but he only really likes watching Shakespeare. He couldn't care less about the use of the word "prodigal" as an adverb in Act 1, scene 3, of Hamlet. Poor dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Sports talk. Ugh.

    But as Fie said, I could talk about books all night whilst poor Husband plasters a smile on his face and tries not to let his eyes glaze over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What Peter said. There are also ways of talking about sports so that even if you DON'T follow a sport, you can get interested. I can follow some discussions of baseball and cricket that way. But "do you remember that awesome touchdown pass?" -- that's not conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sports talk is so very dreadful. And there's so much more of it here in Boise than anywhere else I've lived. When people do bother to ask if I like football, I say I can't watch it because I consider it a blood sport.

    That usually shuts them up.

    ReplyDelete