Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Talkin' 'Bout My Generation

Part of my awe about our electing Barack Obama comes from the fact that he's the first high stakes public office-holder from my generation to be elected. Maybe my generation will make a significant contribution after all? I hope so.

I was talking to a friend of mine's Mom this morning about the election, and she was teary-eyed with happiness. She told me that she'd come so far, that forty years ago she could never have imagined voting for a Black man, but she'd voted for Obama and was crying with happiness that he'd been elected.

It got me thinking about how much more personal that step is for some people than others, and how huge a step it was for this friend's mother. I think it was a revelation to her to think about where she'd started as a young woman, and where she is now as an older woman, and how much she's changed, and how happy she is to have changed. I bet a lot of people woke up this morning with similar feelings, and I hope they're as happy as she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment