Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Local Politics

Since moving from a suburb or big city to, first, a small town and then a small city, I've noticed a change, either in my awareness or in actuality.

When I was growing up, few people in my neighborhood put up election signs, and I never remember anyong talking about actually talking to a candidate or elected official. Maybe folks were, but my folks weren't.

Here, though, in the past couple weeks, I've shaken the hand of my local assemblyman and wished him luck. Before elections, he tends to stand at the entrance of NWU, willing to talk to all comers; when it's not election season, I often see him at the local farmers' market, talking to folks (and shopping).

I've seen one of my US senators speak, as well as my US representative, and seen three other local elected office holders at a meeting. They're real people to me in a way that elected office holders weren't before, when I only saw them on TV or something.

Today, here's hoping we the people do ourselves proud.

And I hope we remember that in whatever race, whatever the result, it's likely that nearly 50% of people won't be happy about the result, but that most of us will go on with our day to day lives, just getting by. I hope our leaders help us work together better, respect each other better, and I hope these same leaders make it clear that gloating and other disrespectful behavior isn't acceptable.

To echo New Kid, please, please, please.

And here (hat tip to Dr. Brazen Hussy) is a little widget to entertain you until the polls start closing if you don't have enough grading to do the job.

PS. I voted a couple of weeks ago with a minimal wait because my city officials encouraged people to vote early and it's totally legal.

1 comment:

  1. please. please, please, please.

    both my kids voted for the first time. daughter is off at college, and voted absentee -- she and her friends are on the edges of their seats. and my son, who is on his own but struggling between jobs and apartments, also voted today, as did his friends -- the boys stopped by to raid the refrigerator and bask in the glory of their votingness.

    if you are teaching tomorrow, this is all anyone will be able to talk about. may as well go with the flow, tie it to some lessons if you can.

    ReplyDelete