Thursday, January 18, 2007

Suspensions

Working towards my goal to make life as miserable as possible for administrators, I asked one of our deans here a question, and then a follow up. I know, I'm a miserable tormentor.

By way of explaining, she gave me a rough number of how many of my college's students are on probation.

I'm stunned. Between 1-2% of our students are on probation right now. That seems like a huge number to me. I'm guessing it's probably not outrageously out of the ordinary, but still. WOW.

Learning something like that makes me aware of how little I know about the workings of some parts of the university.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:36 AM

    1-2%? My first response was "that's all?" I'm at a large urban public institution and I'd expect that more like 3-4% (if not more) of our undergrad population is on academic probation at any given time. It's part of the nature of a basically open admissions institution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. On rethinking, I realized that I may have underdone the math.

    The dean gave me the number of suspended students in our college this semester. But I used the number of students at the university in doing my little calculation. We have three other colleges here, so my estimate is a bit off. However, the other colleges are relatively small, and all students are in ours until and unless they get admitted to one of the specialized colleges (nursing, education, etc).

    ReplyDelete