I started the process of filling out a grant form this morning. I signed onto the newish system. Then I tried to sign my collaborating student on. It seemed to work, except it would kick me back and the collaborator slot would be empty. So I tried again. And again.
And then I called the grant office, and the very nice person there tried, and tried again, tried something else, and then said she's call the person who's paid to handle computer forms.
I find grant forms pretty darned stressful anyway, but the newish ones are just horrible.
We're using these newish ones because we're too cheap to pay the royalties to use the sort of forms we used to use. I wonder how much the difference in cost is, especially with pretty much every office having to set up new forms in some way and then troubleshoot them, and so on.
Of course, the office that decided not to pay the royalties doesn't pay me, because I was working on my own time this morning. So they just don't care. Or maybe they're happy because they aren't paying and who cares about faculty summers.
Anyway, this grant is due in a couple of weeks, but I wanted to get started because I'm lousy at grant writing sorts of stuff.
I think this could be a very cool project, potentially useful, even.
Wish me luck!
I did get an email back telling me that the form had been fixed. Now to write a narrative of the project. Oh, joy.