Thursday, December 27, 2012

Recycling

One of my projects this break is to go through some old papers and put them into recycling.  I was at it today, and found a syllabus I made up for some class.  I don't remember it, but the basic idea isn't half bad.  It looks like it was for a class I taught as an adjuct (on the quarter system).

It was titled: Fantastic People/Fantastic Places: Marvelous Geographies in Earlier English Literature.

And it included texts from Beowulf to Gulliver's Travels.

I think I may recycle it, and rework it for an early Brit lit lower level course next year.

Of course, the amusing thing is that the whole syllabus takes up one double-sided piece of paper, and half of one side is taken up with a picture of a pict (I'm guessing I used one of the illustrations from Emily Bartel's Spectacles of Strangeness.

Anyway, here's what the reading list looked like.  What should I change as I revise it for a semester long course?

Beowulf
Gawain and the Green Knight
Utopia
"The Description of Cooke-ham"
"To Penshurst"
The Tempest
Paradise Lost (Book 1 only)
Oroonoko
Gulliver's Travels

5 comments:

  1. I would add Pilgrim's Progress; Also maybe Raleigh's Discovery of Guiana, and Henry Neville's Isle of Pines. Sounds like a fun course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie de France might be fun. Students seem to respond pretty well to "Lanval," and I think there are a couple of others in the latest edition of the Norton (if that's what you're using).

    Also, Midsummer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Travels of Sir John Mandeville!! (one of my favorite medieval texts.) A sort of crazy English Marco Polo/the travels of St. Brendan all jumbled together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could also do one of Gerald of Wales' works, either the topography of Wales or (better, I think), the History and Topography of Ireland.

    I'd look at Mary Campbell's "The Witness and the Other World" for further inspiration.

    Happy Holidays! Jennifer and I are no longer doing the Oxford program, but if you find yourself in western Massachusetts, drop me a line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, these are great ideas, thank you!

    Brian, I'm sorry you're not doing the Oxford program; I so enjoyed that personal tour! But I'd love to visit again, and if for some reason you come out to flyover country, please do let me know!

    ReplyDelete