Monday, December 31, 2012

Out with 2012

2012 was a rough year for a lot of people.

It wasn't horrible for me.  I didn't get shot, flooded, or lose my job.  I did have a rough semester job-wise.  I rode my bike some, skied some, went on a beautiful vacation.  Politically, it was a mixed bag.  Still, I'm hoping for a better new year in all sorts of ways.

I spent much of the day going through financial stuff, shredding endless statements (do I really need bank statements from 1999?  I don't think so).  And then wondering how historians feel about shredders, and being grateful that Philip Henslowe didn't have one.

Speaking of shredders:  where do the staples go?  I've shredded a lot of stuff with staples, and picked it up, and dumped it in bags, and picked it up, and I haven't seen bits of staple all over the rug or anything.  Where do they go?  Have we found the one thing that breaks the law of conservation of matter?

So I've filled six bags with shredded paper.  And my house looks like an utter mess, but it will look better as I put stuff away and straighten up.  Still, I'm a bit frustrated by just how messy it looks.


My bike odometer reads 9007.8.

My read at the turn of the year last year was 7703.7.  So I've ridden about 1304 miles this year.  The bike journal says 1296.9. (The difference would come from my rounding errors, walking the bike between rides, and so on.)  I obviously need to ride more!  (and ski more, run more, etc.)

2012: 1304 miles
2011: 460 miles  (away for ~6 months in the UK)

2010: 1020 miles
2009: 2380 miles
2008: 1425 miles (away for ~5 months in Japan)
2007: 2011 miles* (There may have been more miles, before I started using the bike journal thingy, but I seem to have started using it in mid-May, so probably not tons of miles.)

The goal for next year is once again, 2000 miles, and 11k on the odometer.  Wish me luck!

And you, too.  Thanks for reading, and for those who've responded, thank you even more!



5 comments:

  1. I hope you have a fantastic 2013! Happy, healthy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice mileage on the bike--and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a great start already -- I need to do shredding too. Been putting it off too long. Hope 2013 is off to a great start! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year, and happy biking!
    (And the shredder is on my agenda today too.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you all the best in 2013!

    ReplyDelete