Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Decisions

It's about the last weekend here at the Abbey until finals, and then I'll spend a few days in London before flying back to the Northwoods.

I'm thinking of a leisurely weekend away, somewhere.

I could go to Durham. I hear there's a lovely cathedral and that it's a good place for walking. I haven't been yet.

I could go back to York. York is incredible, AND there's a big Christmas market I could wander through. But maybe crowded?

I could go back to Norwich. Norwich is friendly and fun, and great for walking. But I was there only a couple of weeks ago. (I still need to post up about my trip to Norwich some more!)

Other thoughts?

So where should I go? (The folks who suggested Norwich before did a great job, and I trust you may have other ideas.)

I've been to:

Edinburgh
Dublin (and a bit around Ireland)
Norwich
York
Chester
Lincoln
Wales (Llandudno, mostly)
The Lake District
Canterbury
Stratford
Burghley House and Stamford
Windsor
Dover

I'm totally game for a tiny town or something different, so long as I can get there and back on public transportation and there's a warm-enough place to sleep.

I'm also getting near the point where I'll prioritize where I want to go while I'm in London.

So far, I'm planning to revisit Westminster, Paul's, the Banqueting House, and the British Library. Other places I should aim for, especially things I haven't yet? (I know a lot of places are closed for winter, but I'm here now.)

5 comments:

  1. Why not go spend a weekend in Bath? I think you visited for a day, but it's a pretty town, there is good walking, and you could take the bus and visit Wells for a day. Or go to a Cotswold town like Cheltenham.

    But there is also great pleasure in deepening your knowledge of a place you have already explored, like Norwich or York.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:43 AM

    I am quite amazed at your energy level -- not just getting out and GOING just about every single weekend, but also seeing sights at full throttle once you get there.

    I'm fairly sure you're my age or even a sliver older; where DO you get the energy? Have you been restless and hyper since childhood?

    I wonder what my doctor would say if I go to her and say, "Something must be wrong with me; I don't have as much energy as Bardiac."

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you're back in London, go to Fortnum and Mason's for tea. Also, track down Samuel Johnson's house. It's worth seeing the birthplace of the English dictionary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have much advice, but I find myself sad that your semester overseas is coming to an end. I have enjoyed your pictures and posts so much that I don't really want it to end. I bet you'd be willing to stay a little longer, too. ;)

    One thing to keep in mind - if you can't do it all in this trip, you'll always have an excuse to go back! Whatever you do, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Durham is an *excellent* idea. Totally walkable, charming, and extraordinary - the medieval, walled part of the city is on an almost-island, after all. (Well, it's really just in the bend of the river, but it *feels* like a peninsula). Or, you could go back to York and/or do a trip out to Haworth (where the Brontes lived): http://www.haworth-village.org.uk/visitors/visiting-bronte-country/visit-haworth.asp. I also recommend Knaresborough (and you can get there easily by train from York). Go to my blog and search for my post on that *adorable* town. I might be less adorable without fine weather, but it's sure to be dramatic.

    You didn't put this in your list, but you've been to Cambridge, haven't you?

    And I still think Cardiff would be interesting. It suffered a lot in WWII and was economically more depressed through the 60s and 70s that the UK in general was, but it's had a little renaissance of late, and what they've done with the old port area is really interesting urban development. And there's the castle and the museum and St. Fagin's folk museum (though it might have limited winter hours) and Llandaff Cathedral.

    I recently went to Hereford (to see the Mappa Mundi and the chained library at the Cathedral) and Great Malvern. They're both on the same train line, so if you can get to one, you can get to the other. Great Malvern is just delightfully pretty -- it's built on the side of one of the Malvern "Hills," which are almost big enough to be baby mountains.

    There, now you have too much to choose from!

    Oh, and back in London, I really, really recommend The Soane Museum. Can't remember if you've gone there yet: http://www.soane.org/. And also the Wallace Collection: http://www.wallacecollection.org/

    ReplyDelete