Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bardiac v. Nature

Bardiac sad.

Look at what's happened to my Tamarack! My other one seems totally dead. I don't know what I did or didn't do, or what to do now.

This is what my poor pine tree looks like now. (You can see that it's sporting a pie tin. All the best pine trees are wearing them in my yard.)

Unfortunately, I didn't get as close up for this one as I did for the one before, but you get the idea.

This is what the same tree looked like 9 days ago. In the newer picture, the tree looks like it's dripping sap all down it. I'm hoping this means that the pie tins are effectively scaring the sapsuckers off from keeping the wounds open and eating the sap, and that eventually the sap will crust over and the tree will start to heal. The year after I first planted these two trees (there's another, but it isn't as badly wounded, so I haven't put up pictures) some rabbits ate at their bark the first winter, and it two a good two years before they really healed over. I guess trees heal and grow slowly, but hopefully live for a long time.

Here's a picture of the other side of the tree. Those mean old birds really went after it.

6 comments:

  1. I really feel bad for you, but I'm also fascinated by those holes. They're so regular and straight. I had no idea the birds did it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fascinated, too. The picture makes the tree look like a lantern illuminated from within.

    ReplyDelete
  3. is there an ag department or extension that you can contact about the trees?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm sorry. Can it be saved?

    Re: lines, sort of looks like the dots that went up Nina's arm during the black swan dance (still shaking that movie from my mind, clearly).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get thee to a nursery. Is it a bird or sick? Fungus or parasite or something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pine tree problem is caused by yellow-bellied sapsuckers.

    The Tamaracks, I have no idea. :(

    ReplyDelete