Friday, March 13, 2009

Classes before break

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking I'm going to complain about how few students showed up for classes today.

Yeah, there were a few missing.

But the poetry students, most of whom were there (and turned in their papers) were just great today. Before class, we were waiting in the hall while the previous class finished a midterm, and some of my students were teasing me about letting them go early so that I'd have more time to start grading.

But when we got to work, talking about Hero and Leander, they were really good; lots of people contributed to small group discussions, and a good number reported back well to the class.

I think the absolute brilliance of the poem may have had something to do with it, but maybe I just got lucky! And yes, this is an afternoon class.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:49 PM

    That sounds like a wonderful class today. Good to hear.

    There were a bunch missing from my afternoon class, too. But the ones who were there rocked the discussion!

    Happy Start of Break to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds fun. It's so hard for me to tear conversation/discussion out of medical students sometimes, but when it flows, it's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ink, I think the students who are in class the day before break are the ones who are most likely to be prepared and focused!

    MWAK, I wonder what they'd make of my poems? :)

    ReplyDelete